CoastWatch Image Software
To downlocad a software click the software link, in "Authentication required"
box type in anonymous as user name, type
your email address as password.
For CoastWatch Files
CoastWatch AVHRR satellite image files, which contain image data, coastline and lat./long.
graphics, and header information, are compressed using a special compression format.
Thus, a program is
needed to decompress the image data and separate the other information for use
with the imagery. Once decompressed, the images are converted to 8-bit raster files and
can then be displayed
CoastWatch provided software (or any image processing software). A number of computer
programs have been developed for both PC, UNIX and MAC workstations, which facilitate the
use of the AVHRR sea-surface temperature and albedo imagery. These are also available on
the CoastWatch ftp site (ftp.glerl.noaa.gov in directory "coastwatch").
- CoastWatch Software Library and Utilities v3.2.3 Tools (CDAT)
The CoastWatch Software Library and Utilities is a package of software
tools for working with NOAA CoastWatch satellite data. The utilities
allow data users to easily manipulate and visualize satellite data in both
the new CoastWatch HDF (.hdf) files and the older CoastWatch IMGMAP (.cwf)
files. The utilities are composed of both graphical and command-line
The core software functionality:
- Render data and legends to PNG, JPEG, PDF, and GeoTIFF images.
- Export data to raw binary, text, or ArcGIS grid files.
- Convert from older CWF format to CoastWatch HDF.
- Obtain information on file attributes, dimensions, and variables.
- Manually apply navigational corrections.
- Perform generic math operations, including cloud masking.
- Calculate data statistics: min, max, mean, standard deviation.
- Combine multiple data files into one composite file.
- Perform data sampling at discrete Earth locations.
- Perform satellite data registration to a common master region.
- Generate graphical dataset coverage maps.
- Support for rendering line and polygon data from ESRI shapefiles.
- Support for transparency in graphics overlay colors, useful when rendering "highlight" polygons.
- Log enhancement scaling in CDAT for use in chlorophyll plotting.
- GIF image output in CDAT and cwrender.
- Support for AVHRR NOAA 1b version 3 files.
- New tool for automatic navigational correction using image data.
- Improved manual page documentation and command-line usage notes via "-h" option.
- Bug fixes for CDAT in PDF and image rendering code.
- Updated icon set and Unix/Linux look-and-feel.
- Updated code for cleaning up partially written files after command-line tool failure.
- On Windows/Linux/Solaris, Java is now included in the download
- On-the-fly units conversion in CDAT
- Support for latest NOAA 1b data including MetOp
- Better Mac OS X support
- Reformatted and more accessible help system
- Faster application startup
New features in the 3.2.2 release include:
- Support for Windows Vista
- Full screen data display mode
- Support for NOAA 1b files with scan line gaps
- Navigation error analysis panel in CDAT
- User's guide chapters on CDAT and programmer's API
New features in the 3.2.3 release include:
- Support for NOAA KLMN 1b format AMSU and MHS data files.
- Improved support for GRIB 2 format files.
- Improved performance when working with large ACSPO and CoastWatch HDF swath data files.
glsea_reader.sav is a IDL binary file for PC, that converts Great Lakes
Surface Environmental Analysis (GLSEA) file (512x400) from gif format to asc (txt) format.
A non-windows decompression, viewing, and analysis software. It uses expanded memory
and is written to run on IBM-PC type platforms. Requires a 640x480 VGA display
capable of 256 colors, and 8 MB of RAM.
A decompression and PostScript printing program for CoastWatch imagery. Makes a
hard-copy with the NOAA/CoastWatch logo, image header information, and a
temperature or albedo scale alongside the print.
A windows version of CWIPS.
A versatile decompression program for CoastWatch images that allows the user to
decide on data ranges, interactive or batch processing, and has options for
dealing with header and graphics.
- CWFTOARC for Windows
The cwftoarc utility converts CoastWatch data files to either an ASCII or binary GRID file
for use in the ArcView or ARC/INFO GIS packages from Environmental Systems Research
Institute, Inc. The User's Guide is in
- CWFTOARC for Solaris 2.6
The cwftoarc utility for SUN UNIX.
A simple viewer for CoastWatch images, for regular VGA monitor.
This program decompresses the image, header, and graphics and
displays the image with an adjustable temperature bar and instant data
A CoastWatch viewing/analysis application, for SGI UNIX workstations with 24 bits
graphics, written in IDL ( Interactive Display
Language, by Research Systems, Inc.). This is a graphic user interface
application with many interesting features; requires an IDL license.
For SUN UNIX workstations with 24 bits graphics.
For SUN UNIX workstations with 8 bits graphics.
The original CoastWatch viewing and analysis software. Requires a second monitor
and a special graphics board.
Callable IDIDAS routines that never made it into the main program.
Complete IDIDAS documentation.
Generic image viewer (shareware).
GSview is a graphical interface for Ghostscript. Ghostscript is an
interpreter for the PostScript page description language used by laser
Great Lakes land mask files and coastline files.